Sunday, January 17, 2016

Week One Recap

Week one of nursing school is in the books! My class schedule is far from overwhelming, although I already feel like I'm behind in my studies. My labs are intimidating, but fun. I am in both Skills and Assessment labs with seven other girls. We range in age from very young (twenty, maybe?) to fifty-seven. Everybody has a good attitude, and seems encouraging and helpful. Most importantly, I feel very smart in my uniform.


Meanwhile, life continues . . .

We are living on a shoestring budget right now. We absolutely are not prepared for disaster of any kind. And, what should happen the day before nursing school began, but the failure of my car's transmission. I have a wonderful friend who was also accepted to the nursing program, and whose schedule is consistent with mine, who has been taking me to and from school. So, I've got my ride covered. Whew! I foresaw scheduling conflicts on the horizon, so I made arrangements for my son to ride the bus to and from school. His rides are covered. Double whew! So, despite the compounding chaos that was doing its best to derail me, I have kept calm. I know, without a doubt, that this path I'm on is the right one, and nothing is going to deter me.

I have a wonderful family, my own as well as my husband's, who have been supportive beyond measure. Last semester I realized work and school were absolutely not going to be able to coincide, so I committed myself to student loans. Gulp. I'm currently in a state of delaying bill payment while I wait for this semester's money to be dispensed. For two months now I've been dependent on these financial miracles that keep coming along -- like manna from Heaven. For instance: I spent $120 on uniforms which weren't ready on time for my first class, so I popped my head into the office of one of the admins, and asked her if she knew what I should do. She asked me what size I need and produced two uniform tops for me! I was able to return the tops I purchased once they arrived at the uniform store, and then there was enough money for another week of life!

Last week, out of the clear blue, I received an email from an old friend who I've only had superficial interaction with for years. Out of respect for her privacy I won't give too many details about our interactions, but she and her husband offered to contribute to my school costs. The exact nature of their contribution remains a surprise, and it's honestly irrelevant. The way God moves in the world blows my mind. I haven't asked for help. I haven't started a Go Fund Me page. I just needed this very specific kind of help, and far away, in a person from my past, God stirred something inside of them that saw my need and acted on it. I am overwhelmed and incredibly grateful. 

My family's needs are consistently being met. I feel utterly cared for. I am learning to let go of worry.  

"Do not worry then, saying, 'What will we eat?' or 'What will we drink?' or 'What will we wear for clothing?" . . . "But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."




2 comments: