Wednesday, April 5, 2017

This Isn't Going to Work

I learned something about being a nurse recently. I need to be in way better shape for it. After my dad died I went on antidepressants for a few months, and put on about 15 pounds. Then, in December I was in a pretty decent car accident that did a real number on my neck and my back (nobody involved was very seriously injured, thank goodness). I managed to put a few more pounds on since then. Those two things, combined with a relatively depressed state, have got me in the worst shape I may have ever been in. I feel clumsy and weak, and I have been anxious to get back to a fitness regimen, partly in order to be a worthwhile nurse. For instance, as I have recently learned, CPR is no joke. Compressions are exhausting. Glasses sliding down the sweaty bridge of your nose, arms buckling, heart pounding, exhausting. I mean, I’m supposed to be able to thrust with all my strength and weight against a human body 100 times per minute, squeezing a heart between a sternum and a spinal column, which in theory will keep blood coursing through a person’s arteries, and keep their brain oxygenated long enough for that heart to be able to take its job back over. The rules say you’re supposed to switch out the person doing compressions every two minutes. I only lasted one minute. It’s a lot of pressure. It’s scary. And, my body is just too weak to handle it right now. This is my turning point. Every day I am going to put good things in my body, and strengthen it so that I can be physically ready to save lives. 



Oh! P.S. I turned my graduation application in last week! Whoop, whoop! 

No comments:

Post a Comment